Martha “Marcy” Akers Freeman has been a lawyer for over 32 years, and Decker Poole PLLC is excited to welcome Marcy to the Decker Poole team. Marcy practices family law and serves as a mediator. Marcy has represented thousands of clients in family law cases, including divorce, protective orders, child support, child custody, adoptions, paternity and grandparent rights. Her many years of experience provide her the perspective and ability to understand the legal process from all sides.
Marcy is an attorney driven to find solid solutions for her clients, and good communication is an essential component of her representation. For Marcy, solving legal problems is a multi-step process in which she and the client are both active participants. She carefully listens to her clients and pays attention to details. She thoroughly researches all legal and factual issues. Marcy understands that knowledge is empowering; and throughout the process, she clearly and effectively communicates her advice. Marcy ensures that each of her clients sufficiently understands how the law impacts that client’s case, and as a result, her clients not only are enabled to make but feel comfortable making important decisions. Her honest sharing of information with her clients is vitally important to her successful client-attorney relationships.
Successful problem solving also requires a good plan. Marcy’s years of practice in the legal system give her a unique ability to assess a situation and to find a favorable resolution, and her clients benefit from her experiences. After developing a strategy with her client, Marcy moves forward with determination and resilience to achieve a favorable outcome.
In addition to her work in Tarrant County, Marcy has strong ties in Parker County, where she maintained a practice for over 20 years. When Marcy is not busy practicing law, she enjoys spending time with her husband and children, practicing yoga, traveling, and cooking.
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view…Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”
– To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- University of Rochester (B.A. 1984)
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D. 1987)
- State Bar of Texas (1987)
- University of Texas School of Law Center for Public Policy
- Mediation Training (2004)
- Collaborative Law Training (2012)
- Fort Worth Magazine’s Top Lawyer
- Certified Yoga Instructor
- Past President of the Parker County Bar Association
- Past board member City of Weatherford, Board of Adjustments
- Past member Vestry St. Francis of Assisi Episcopal Church, Willow Park, Texas
- Past board member Weatherford Performing Arts Association